Friday, January 9, 2015

"This I Believe: Planning for a Future" by William Shakespeare


This December, Advanced Composition students studied, wrote, and recorded audio essays. Students wrote and recorded their own "This I Believe" essays inspired by the weekly This I Believe Podcast. While we're publishing the text of each essay below, we strongly encourage you to listen to each student's audio essay for a more intimate experience.

Everything I do now is for the future.  Most people say that we should live in the moment and not let it go to waste, but I think that you should live for the future.  I believe in hard work and once you keep working hard; eventually you won’t have to later on.  That’s why I find school so important, I work hard to keep my grades up because if I don’t I have this feeling that I won’t be successful.  If I don’t do well in a class, then I’ll fail, and if I fail, I won’t be able to get into a good college and then find a nice paying job later on.  That’s what scares me most; that I won’t find a job and won’t be able to support myself when I’m an adult.  I put an enormous amount of stress on myself to get my school work done and make it perfect; I go through the breakdowns and mental blocks because I know one day that it’ll all be worth it.

I believe your future is made by your actions today.  Whatever you’re doing in your life now, will be a part of your future someday.  How you are as a person and what you decide to do with your life will determine how your future is planned out. 

My dad was the first person in his family to go to college.  After college, he found a job in the government and worked extremely hard to get to the point in his career that he’s at now.  He’s moved around the country for different positions, taking on heavier tasks and getting promotions after his accomplishments.  When my dad moved to Florida, he knew that he would have to be separated from his family, but he still did it in order to hopefully get a promotion for himself.  My dad was a self-made man; he did things not only to benefit his family, but to benefit himself.  He didn’t have to go to college; he could have stopped right after high school and found a job in his hometown of Memphis.  But he didn’t, my dad was determined to make a future for himself.  So, he kept working; if it was putting in extra hours or working hard on a case, he never gave up.  And, because of his actions and choices that he made in the past he’s now able to wake up whenever he wants and go into work at whatever time he likes.  He can leave early or he can stay, his world is in his hands.  He, along with my mother, always tell me that I should try my best at everything and never give up; if there’s something I want in life, I should go for it. 


My school ethic is a big part of my future.  The way I am in school now will help me to become who I want to be tomorrow.  I may not know what I want to be right now, but I know that working hard in school will lead me to what I want to do later on.  I am determined to make my future how I want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...