Friday, November 7, 2014

"Mirror's Lament" by Justin Turner

What am I?  A slave. A slave to everything you do, and everything you say.  I have no control, no reason as to why I must listen to you and mimic what you say.  I don’t know your thoughts, but here I am at your command.  I’ll do what you wish, but only because I can’t do otherwise.  You make the decisions and you get to enjoy them, while I, doing my perfect impression of you, get to spend the time wondering why.  But what am I to do?  I’m only your reflection.  I’m in every mirror, shiny object, or pond you pass by.  You look at me when you pick out our imperfections, or when you’re brushing your teeth.  Other times, you don’t even notice me as I ripple through the slow current of the stream.  I know you like no other, yet know nothing about you.  Your actions are a mystery, but I know exactly what you’ll do.  We’ve grown up together, spent every moment of our lives together, but you’ve never actually talked to me.


What I’d do for some control, a chance to think for my own.  I’ve copied your mistakes all your life; I want to make my own.  I want to know what it’s like to kiss someone you love, and go exploring for something that I’m passionate for!  I want that power to think for myself.  One day.  One day you’ll see me doing what I want.  One day I’ll run my fingers through grass, and laugh at something funny.  Truth is I may be you, but you are definitely not me.  One day I’ll break the bondage of the reflections of the world, and you’ll see what it’s like to be in our shoes.  One day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...