Friday, October 7, 2016

"When I Write" by Kelly Shepherd

When I write, I am a bird
I am free, I let go
I let myself fly
The wind whipping in my ears
My hair flapping around like wings
My thoughts scramble across the
Vast expanse that is my mind

When I write, I am a character in a book
I’m your average girl fighting dragons
I’m an astronaut discovering a new planet
I have no limitations
I can be who I want to be

When I write, I am alone
I’m surrounded by no living human
I’m immersed in a world no one knows
It is mine
And mine alone

When I write, I am a social warrior
I feel the pain
I see the injustices
I fight for what is right
With only a paper and a pen

When I write, I am a tape recorder
Recalling memories,
Playing them back,
Sharing my wealth

When I write, I am a sprinter.
As my hand races across the page,
The timer is ticking,
But my breathing is calm
And my heart is pounding joyously

When I write,
I am a bird
I am a character
I am alone
I am a social warrior
I am a tape recorder
I am a sprinter

No matter where I am,
Exploring an island,
Driving along the coast,
Or sitting in my room,
Eating chips on my bed,
I am always on an adventure as I write

When I write,
I fly above the clouds
Omniscient,
watching,
When I write,
I’m living within someone else,
Telling their stories
Or I am myself,
Finally being myself.

When I write, I am myself,
I let every emotion
Seep out of my pen and onto the page,
I am honest,
Really, truly honest.
I admit my every emotion.
I laugh,
I cry

When I feel like I am stuck, motionless,
I write.
When I feel like I just need to cry,
I write.
When literally everything in the world annoys me,
I write
Whenever I am feeling too much,
Whenever I am feeling too little,
Whenever,
I write.

Writing is my therapy.
Always turning,
My mind keeps running,
Never shutting down.

Writing is my therapy.
It calms me
It catches me when I am falling.

Writing is my therapy
Because...

When I write,
I am a bird
I am a character
I am alone
I am a social warrior
I am a tape recorder
I am a sprinter,
But most importantly,
When I write I am myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...