Friday, October 13, 2017

"Paper Tears" by Kelly Shepherd

Upon me lies words that no one speaks.  Words that have been scribbled furiously with a hand that wouldn’t stop shaking.  A hand that’s connected to a heart that ept.  The heart that made me was shredded as I find I will soon be as well. The tiny holes where the pencil pressed too hard and the tear drops that smudged the words of anguish are only battle scars to me.  For although I was created by something shredded, I was made to put it back together.  

I see the hand holding me in a new light now.  I came into its life brand new and full of dreams of being handled with care and held onto for centuries.  But I see now, that that was not the path for me, nor would I ever want it to be now.  You see, I can be so much more that an old manuscript in a much shorter time.  I am a healing board.  I take the words that come out of a soul so battered and I give back some emotion to the one who feels so empty.  I make them see what it truly means to hurt and what it truly means to piece yourself back together.  From the hard tears in me, I’ve learned that I wouldn’t want to be treated with care, because then all I wouldn’t be real.  I may have been respected and revered, but that isn’t in life in the day to day.

Although I may appear flimsy, I hold the power to stop a hand from shaking, to stop a heart from breaking, to stop the tears before there are no more left to cry.  So you see while I may be about to be shredded, at least I fixed something just like me.


There’s no point in living life without truly risking everything.  To know life as only precious handling is not to have lived.  Living is being torn apart, having tears drops smudge your words, and being shredded over and over yet finding a way to put yourself back together.  So please, tear me apart with your shaking hand and your crushed soul, this is living.  I promise, I’ll come back recycled, slightly used, but stronger for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...