Thursday, November 9, 2017

"Awake" by Bear

Goodnight.
I close my door as I turn on the ceiling fan.
The weight of the day leaves my body.
My mind becomes heavy.
I sit in my bed recounting the day, the week, life; I look out the glare-covered window to see the reflection my lamp light, standing quietly dim in the foreground of the blackness outside.
I sit, then lie, thinking, eyelids falling up and down.
Why does darkness fall, and the sun rise?
This is what I wonder as I digress from the day, getting into my bed.

Darkness…

I forget that my light is still on, as my body has already switched into its setting of fatigue and weariness.
I get up, flick the lever.
Nothing.
No change in light; none in the window.
I still see my reflection clear as day.
I try again, finding the same result.
Fervently I flick the light switch, similar in manner of an impatient person hitting a button at a crosswalk, wanting to get to the other side.
What's on the other side for them?
Another side.
I consider my dilemma as something abnormal but at the same time all too real to be imaginative.
I realize that my body feels energized, almost as if I had just woken up.
One more flick of the switch.
Light, still.
Looking for more signs, I come across my clock, the red lines reading a digital 1:38 AM.
Weird, I think.
It's late.
I look again out my window into the silhouettes of objects too dark to make out.
I consider going to sleep, but I am no longer tired.
My clock catches my eye again.
It reads something new this time.
4:29 AM.
I rub my eyes.
How could three hours pass when it felt like 30 seconds?
I blink.
Is this real?
I turn quickly to my mirror.
It swirls and turns, it's matter being pinched and pulled like viscous liquid.
I question my reality, yet I don't know what to feel.
I can't feel anything but a high.
My body is numb but electrified by adrenaline and curiosity.

Lucidity.

I go to open my door.
My hand wrap around the knob, but goes right through it.
This, of course, makes sense.
I walk right through my door, which in an awake state prevents intrusion.
I am not awake, but alive.
I jump down the stairs from top to bottom unharmed.
There are no such physical limitations where I find myself living, breathing.
My mind opens the front door of my house for itself.
Out I go into the night, running faster than a cheetah.
My body feels no pain, no stress.
I am untouchable.
I jump and tell myself that I can fly, and I fly.
My body is not bound to anything.
It's only my mind at work here in this dream.
I fly near the moon, the planets, places hidden from the busy mind and busy eyes of the busy world.
Anything I think of, unimaginable to man, comes to life.
It is painted before me.
I am the brush of the reality.
My mind is the artist.
I sculpt my surroundings.
It feels like days pass by in this experience.
I find myself, however, negligent of time restrictions.
Time is endless here.

But nothing good, or bad, lasts forever.

I come down, eventually.
From my air, my space.
The vividness of the mind is unseen unless you will yourself to go deeper than what is plainly seen.
It's all a dream.
What seems like days, even weeks, can be blips of time for some.
Lucidity, I find is, active.
It excites; it dares.
It's a practice that can be applied even to our own world.
One full of dreams and reality existing concomitantly.
I wake up, hoping to say goodnight again.
Because the world I wish to live in is in my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...