Thursday, April 5, 2018

"You Come to Me" by Kelly Shepherd

You come to me and you tell me you are NOT okay
that nothing is right
that every breath you breathe
aches with the fire of a million suns
that each step you take makes you shorter inch by inch
until you are too small to even muster a wiggle

You come to me and you tell me it is NOT okay.
It is not okay how one second you’re flying,
laughing, wind in your hair as you run,
and the next you are stuck
motionless, curled in a corner
hands around your ears, nails digging into your scalp,
screaming for someone, anyone
but still there’s no one.

You come to me and you tell me that life is NOT okay.
Your life feels as though its in shambles,
like a broken glass scattered across tile floors.
You feel as though you are bleeding out as you attempt to gather
the sharp edges of the broken pieces of your life.
As your hands shake and knees wobble,
you start to crumble too.
You feel yourself falling down to the glass below.

You come to me and you tell me that your past is NOT okay.
That what you went through was a lonely desert,
surrounded by only the questions
and the doubts so intense that you don’t know
What’s up
And what’s down

I go to you and I give you my all.
I tell you how the scars life leaves only make for a beautiful story
How there is so much more to life.
Life isn’t black and white
Perfect or shambles
Life finds a way to be everything all wrapped up in one
Shambles tied to together to make your own kind of perfect

I go to you and I give more than I have to give.
I tell you that I have been there.
The tears, the agony, the pain that I thought wouldn’t recede
The hopelessness, the helplessness.
Everything I’ve hid for years lies bare for you.
To help you.
But then,

You come to me and you tell me you are NOT okay.
You tell me you need more,
More than everything I have to give.
You want perfect and blissful ignorance.
You push my past away and wallow in the anger you feel
The anger that you say you’ve felt since we met as
Little princesses playing on the playground,
Yet I didn’t know.

You come to me and you scream at me that it is NOT okay
But I gave you my secrets, my tears, and my support
And you throw it in the trash with the rest of your dreams
As you slip further and further away from the person I knew
I watch as you let yourself go and reduce yourself to
Only your depression.  

You come to me,
But love you as I may, I can’t break myself down to a shell
A shell I am well familiar with,
Just for you to walk all over me and hide.
Life is so much more than this.
You just have to make an effort to find it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...