Friday, January 10, 2014

"On Growing Up" by Indigo

As we grow in age our anxieties grow with us, with life becoming a constant up and down. There are too many aspects for the human mind to comprehend at once. Each of the challenges we go through are spread throughout our lives, being pushed upon us one by one, year by year as new obstacles, with the next one waiting in line just ahead. Yet all of our worries and frustrations are unique to our being and, because life is a sacred thing, the majority of us want to succeed to our full potential, in the end wishing to have conquered the obstacles thrown at us.

For a person like myself, I am constantly thinking of tomorrow and never today. I live in a world where all that amuses me is the thought of growing up. In the mental block that I am currently having, I am certain that once I am older, my deepest anxiety will have faded. Though I assume that adulthood is harder than I make it out to be in my head, I can honestly say I am ready to go forth with it, with my life. We pair our youth and the most stressful years of our lives. For me, they are one in the same, but the majority of my peers will most likely disagree- but that is my point exactly.

           With their priorities to stay young forever, we differ in that I prioritize in growing older, where the concern is not what is happening during the upcoming weekend but what could be happening in this very moment of my adulthood. I constantly worry and stress as I search for the answer to where I will be ten years from now. Will I have found happiness by then; will I have married and started a loving family that will grow and prosper surely on the love and nutrients I give them? With the severe lack of interest I have in my youth, it is troubling to find motivation to be like and apply myself to be surrounded by peers my age. I simply seek to be in a position where I am able to adjust to my surroundings knowing that, good or bad, this is where God intended me to be, and with my ambition, I believe I will do great things, as a wife, as a mother, and a friend. The goals we set for ourselves are original to our being and my goal is to grow up and leave my anxiety behind and finally be able to live in the moment as a grown woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...