Friday, February 16, 2018

"Home Brew" by Rae Kwon The Chef

I make my own alcohol. Yep, you heard me correctly. Right here in my own home I have my own alcohol fermenting as we speak. Now, I know what question you’re just dying for me to answer—what kind of alcohol in particular are you making, Ethan? Well I’m glad you asked! It’s actually ethanol, to be exact. Alright, now before you flat out throw away this piece or start dialing 9-1-1, let me add a little bit of context; I am a bread maker. I craft and bake my own bread right here in my house with nothing more than flour, water, and little bit of salt. In fact, the alcohol that I produce is one of the byproducts of my quest to master one of the most complex, distinct, and delicious breads there is: sourdough.

Sourdough bread is like no other bread. Most conventional bread products on the market are produced by packaged dry yeast activated with a simple splash of water. But sourdough isn’t so simple; it requires an active colony of yeast that acts like a live creature demanding to be fed with additional water and flour on a scheduled basis. What gives sourdough that unique pungent flavor is actually the acetic and lactic acid produced as a side product of the yeast fermenting, as well as ethanol. The alcohol separates and rises into its own broad liquid layer that bread makers refer to as “hooch”. My professional opinion is to not drink the hooch.

Sourdough making is such an engaging and awesome process to be a part of. While it is pretty time consuming (the stretching, folding, autolysis, gluten forming, fermenting, and shaping takes a whole twenty four hours to complete), it is so rewarding. There is nothing like the aroma of a fresh loaf baking in the oven, and certainly nothing like that texture of a crackly crust contrasted by an airy and open crumb. That distinctive sour note you taste when you take a bite of sourdough bread is such an awesome experience. Every bite is complex and invigorating, bringing life to any sandwich, piece of toast, or slice of bread and butter.

The steps to making that perfect sourdough can just be as fun as actually eating it. Wild yeasts in the air are unique to every region of the world, so every sourdough starter has its own distinct flavor and smell. Experimenting to find that perfect ratio between white and whole wheat flour creates its own unique taste, texture, and aroma within each loaf. And of course, mixing additional ingredients into the dough such as raisins, herbs, or everything bagel seasoning (my personal favorite) yields bread that is not only customizable but reflective of your own preferred tastes.

My relationship with bread doesn’t end with sourdough, however. I also have created challah breads, bread bowls, baguettes, naan, pita, and of course your normal loaf of crusty bread. And while these processes don’t require me to break the law, I still find enjoyment in creating an edible product with just several ingredients. Every single type of bread is similar to every other type, going back to the three main ingredients: flour, salt, water. Every single type of bread made on this earth has some combination of these three ingredients, yet there are so many other factors that come into play that create thousands upon thousands of different end products. No two loaves of the same bread are ever the same, and that’s what makes baking so awesome. Every time I pull out a stand mixer or a banneton, I’m overwhelmed by the endless possibilities. More so, I am captivated by the little things--the texture of whole grain flour, the smell of yeast and water mixing together, and the smoothness of a tight ball of dough doubling in size.


So yes, I break the law. And to be honest, I love doing it. Being a baker has become a part of who I am, a representation of what I believe in. Some people think it’s weird for a teenage boy to wear a chef’s jacket and know how to ferment yeast. To them I say, “Don’t be so sour.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...