Friday, February 9, 2018

"New York" by Miranda Alba-Torres

It was New York City. My family and I were walking around, along with my friend David. The traffic was terrible, as it always is, and the sky half covered by white, delicate clouds. The sun shone through a bit, but nothing worth noting. There was also a slight breeze that made the air icy, although the winter weather created a cool environment anyway. Nothing outside of one’s typical winter day with the family.

Central park had always been my favorite part of town. Not only the beautiful trees and the exposed wildlife that inhabit the location, but the diverse life and culture that is displayed and are welcomed throughout the place are harmonic and peaceful to me. Not only that, but the thought that the people of New York escape their life and problems by fleeing to the park to jog or just take a walk in order to free their mind makes it seem like a sanctuary. A public sanctuary for all to join. To me, that’s lovely.

Nevertheless, David and I were always in front of my parents as we talked; they always seemed to take their time, appreciating everything along the way (the street, the sidewalk, the buildings, everything). However, David and I walked faster because as our conversation went on, we didn’t want our path or our time together to end. The whole day, that dynamic remained; my mom and dad and then, David and I, two steps ahead.

I cannot recall how David and I met, really. He’s always been there in my life, or was a part of it, at least. There is not a single moment or time that I can remember of where he wasn’t present or had a place in my heart. My memory is not that good though, but that’s David’s and I’s history.

Suddenly, David and I were approaching an intersection, my parents still behind me. Three steps behind, red light. Two steps behind, red light. One step behind, green light. We walk across the pavement markings, and wait on a small square of concrete between the roads. While the four us were halted between the two lanes of traffic, I looked out in front of us, where a massive copper statue stood and hid whatever mystery laid behind it. That was interesting, I thought, how sometimes great surprises can await just around the corner. However, I looked away and moved on.

I turned around to face David, but I didn’t seem him right away. However, I directed my gaze towards the cobblestoned tile and saw him, on one knee, on the ground, with a ring inside a box on his right hand outwards, towards me. I froze and stared at the shiny, fragile object inside its red velvet covering and reverted back to stare at David’s eyes. They just stared back. I stared back. He stared back.
In a quick second of enlightenment, I realize, I haven’t known this David for so long. In fact, I’ve only known him for… for 6 months. I met him 6 months and a half ago. At Katie’s fourth of July part. Right? It’s the same David, right? No. Yes? A moment ago he was, I could have sworn he was, but now, he isn’t. Right. David. That still doesn’t change the fact that a marriage proposal, for me, is being offered, to me. I’m being proposed to. How old am I?

That does not matter. I think… I think this is it? I think it is. I want to. I’m getting married! I take the ring, which is obnoxiously… too big. Is this a ring? How the hell is this a ring? It looks like a rococo door knob. Anyways, I take the ring and hug David. I’m getting married! Wait, no, this is… I’m sure this is Katherine’s boyfriend. Why am I engaged to Katie’s boyfriend? Suddenly, a hoard of my friends run at me to congratulate me on my engagement. They’re clapping. They’re cheering. My parents are cheering. GUYS-
           
I wake up, once again, in the middle of the night. I have to call Katie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...