Thursday, March 8, 2018

"Arnold Learns Something New" by Hepatica


Arnold the Avocado was the friendliest vegetable in the produce aisle. He would make sure to wish all of his fellow veggies a good morning every single day. He also tried his best to  befriend all the veggies he could. All of the other vegetables loved Arnold and were more than happy to be his friend, however, at the end of the day they all had their own groups. There were the leafy greens, the root vegetables, the beans, and Arnold didn’t seem to fit in with any of them. He did have his closest friend Patrick the Potato, but in his heart he knew it just wasn’t the same. One day he decided to confide in Patrick about his plight to get another perspective.

“Patrick, can I talk to you about something?”

“Of course Arnold! What’s the matter?”

“Well you know I love the vegetable aisle and all of my friends, but deep down I’ve always felt like I didn’t really belong here and I don’t know why”. While Patrick listened he had a very conflicted look in his eye. He waited a moment before saying, “I think I may know why, but I don’t know if I should tell you or not”.

“Oh please tell me, I’ve been feeling this way for so long and I just don’t know what to do about it!” Patrick was still very hesitant, but he knew Arnold would never be able to let it go until he told him the truth.

“Okay. The truth is, avocados aren’t actually vegetables”.

“What?” Arnold was shocked to say the least. He had been apart of a vegetable aisle his whole life!

“They’re actually fruits. The grocery store just puts them in vegetable aisle. I don’t really know why. I’m sorry I never told you until now”. 

“That’s okay Patrick. I understand why you didn’t tell me. Now if you’ll excuse me a minute, I need some time to think this over”. Arnold was beginning to question his identity but he tried to remain positive.

“Maybe this is a good thing!” he thought to himself. “Even though I love all my vegetable friends, if I’m not really one of them, I should try being a part of the fruits!” Arnold gathered his courage and made his way over to the fruit side of the produce aisle.

“Good morning everybody! My name is Arnold and I’m an avocado. I just learned that avocados are actually fruits so I was wondering if I could be friends with you all?” They all looked at him a moment, slightly confused but welcomed him with open arms all the same. However, he quickly realized that the fruit world was just the same as the vegetable world. Even though they were all happy to be his friend, they still had their own groups. The berries, the melons, the citrus, and he still wasn’t apart of any of them.

“It’s no use!” he said, feeling defeated. “I’ll never fit in. I’m not enough of a vegetable for the vegetables and I’m not enough of a fruit for the fruits and I just don’t know what to do!”

Patrick overheard his friend’s frustration, and wanted to do his best to help.

“Arnold, I hope you know that I still want to be your friend no matter what you are. Fruit or vegetable, you’re still Arnold and you’re still my best friend”. Arnold realized that Patrick was right. It didn’t matter whether he was a fruit or a vegetable or if he was anything in between. He was Arnold, and that was the most important thing of all.

                                                                        The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...