Friday, October 4, 2013

"I was Born" by Naomi Jean Lewis


I was born
            I was born
                        I was born with darkdarkdark circles under my eyes and an answer on my tongue
            I was damned from the first time I heard the word “Deadline”
            I was damned from the first time I heard the word “Due date”
                       
                        D is for the grade I don’t allow myself to bring home
            D is for diving, which hails the start of breathing again
D is for dumb dumb dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb

No. I’m not. Delete that thought, turn the page and try again-

                        C is for crimson pen slashes on math tests that I can’t bring home
            C is for careful, tiptoeing around my parents
C is for cheerleading, my release and adopted family

B is for ‘Be All You Can Be!’
            B is for be better, be better, be best
                        B is for Believing that there was nothing else

                       
                        A is for Achievement! A is for Achievement!
           
            A is for always tired,
                         always aching,
                         always alone.

A is for almost done.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...