Friday, May 23, 2014

"Salvation" by Bear Force One

Many a time have I induced my father’s ire;
I consistently refuse to ever give in to his desire.
“One day you’ll be just like me boy,” he affirms to himself.
Desperately hoping sins of the father really do become sins of the son.

Many a time have I induced my father’s hate;
Perhaps it’s true that I really will become nothing at this rate.
Broken bottles, smoldering filters, impulsive insults, and derisive glares
Provide a soundtrack and background to a nightmare that seems never-ending.

Many a time have I induced my father’s disgust;
My honest wishes for the future only lead to further distrust.
“You can change dad; you have it in you,” I encouragingly whisper to myself.
But all that courage dissipates when I see him come home every night, bleary eyed.

Many a time have I induced my father’s regret;
He stares at me like some part of the past he wants to forget.
Though his body may ache and quake and his lungs wheeze and seize,
His face only shows true anguish whenever his calls back home are left ringing.

Many a time have I induced my father’s affection;
He announces to me over and over how I’m his path to absolution.
However, did you ever truly love me father?

Did I ever truly love you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...