Friday, May 9, 2014

"Where I'm From" by Percival Brendan Noble the Third

I am from pencils
From oranges and chopsticks
I am from the creaky wooden floors
And cold toes that poke out from underneath the blankets.
I am from the giant tree that sits in the middle of the backyard
The bamboo that grows from behind the shed

I’m from opening presents the night before Christmas Eve and foodies
From Mom and Dad and Michelle and Yvonne
From Gu je 1
From A yi 1 and 2
From Kauh fu 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
From Suk suk 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
I am from Yvonne hogging all the juice boxes
And Dad playing chinese chess

I’m from eating every grain of rice in my bowl
And saying hello to all my family members before doing anything
And knowing all the Barney songs by heart
I’m from red envelopes at Christmas, Chinese New Year, and birthdays
Mushy rice and ginger and medicine soup
From Michelle hiding in her room all the time because she is such a teenager
From photo album after photo album filled with my 90s-child selfies

I am from hating Kindergarten with every fiber of my being
But letting school seep into every aspect of my life
I am from skirting around my culture
And suddenly embracing it with an unexpected pride and passion
I am from China (and Vietnam) but also Arlington Hospital
From two different worlds

That have merged into one

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...