Friday, October 23, 2015

"Fear of the Future," by Keyser Soze

We’re expected to have our future planned. On the PSAT, we’re supposed to choose a college major. We have to decide what colleges we want to apply to and what jobs we wanted to interview for. Honestly, it’s all kind of terrifying. I mean, I’m only fifteen years old, yet everyone wants me to know what I want to be- but I don’t even know who I am. I don’t want to go all “Breakfast Club” on you, but I have to ask: who do you think you are? If you can confidently answer that, you terrify me. You shouldn’t have to have your whole life together in high school. This is your last real chance to royally screw up.

So do it. If there’s a chance, take it. Be honest with people. Ask questions, even if you think they’re bad ones- teachers are serious when they say there are no bad questions. Don’t be afraid of the future because then you’ll forget to live now. Wouldn’t you hate to look back on your high school experience and regret it? And what if that becomes your whole life?

Imagine this: you’re on your deathbed. You went to college, got married, raised a family, went to work everyday, and maintained a stable routine. It’s only when you’ve reached the end of your journey that you realize that you never enjoyed the scenery. Don’t forget that the world is overflowing with possibilities; you just have to catch them before they flutter away.


I understand if you’re content to live a simple, satisfying life; the idea of a leap of faith is scary. It’s definitely easier to just take an office job from nine to five and drive kids to sports practice after school, and that’s honestly great. I hope everyone has the opportunity to have a family and feel the wondrous unity of having a group of people that will always be there for you. Just make sure you see the world or try a new hobby. You have the dust of galaxies in you, and that’s a gift that I hope you don’t take for granted. Don’t worry- everything will work out. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ivy League School" by Monica Cody

When I was a young child, I knew that I wanted to go to Harvard. To study what, I don’t know. I barely knew what Harvard was, other than th...